In performing joint replacement surgery, Bumrungrad International Hospital utilizes MAKOplasty®, which is joint replacement surgery assisted by a robotic arm
. We have the technology and knowhow to use this system for both knee and hip replacement surgeries.
Combining the efficiency of this technology with the expertise and experience of our specialist team of doctors, robotic arm assisted surgery allows the surgeon to place the artificial joint with greater precision. This lengthens the usage lifespan of the artificial joint.
Advantages of Joint Replacement with a Robotic Arm
- Precise artificial joint placement results in less soft tissue trauma and minimal bone resection.
- Artificial knee and hip joints last longer than when implanted with other techniques.
- The patient is generally able to return home quickly, with as little as one day but no more than three days of hospital recovery time needed.
- In knee replacement surgery, the patient will be able to move their knee naturally since the tendons at the front and behind the knees as well as the surrounding cartilage are not affected during the procedure.
- By performing surgery through the small incision of the minimally invasive surgical technique, the robotic arm enables the surgeon to remove and shave off only the necessary parts of the bone, thus reducing pain and speeding up the recovery process.
Advantages of Minimally Invasive Surgical Technique
- Smaller incision than with conventional surgery results in less soft tissue trauma and less scarring
- Less pain when compared with traditional joint replacement methods
- Patient generally able to walk within 24 hours after surgery
- Increased patient safety through less blood loss
- Shorter hospital stay and quicker recovery